I like to think I am a smart athlete, I know what it takes to succeed when a HUGE challenge is in front of me. First, find others to keep me motivated and secondly, get a plan!! So I did the smart thing and have joined a group with 20 other fabulous athletes to train with for my first Half Ironman – we are called the IronCanucks (lucky for me, my fellow momstown tri buddy Karen V, joined too!!).
Workout buddies, check .. now, on to a plan. I have to build up my “base” fitness activities to start the actual 20 week training program that officially begins the end of February. What does this mean for my plan? 2 swim workouts, 2 bike workouts, 2 runs – oh and if you have time .. try to get in a yoga class for strength. YIKES .. you have to be kidding me, this isn’t even the actual training?!? Am always up for the challenge, let’s see if I can fit this into my already busy week (my plan):
• Mon – Yoga class after girls in bed, am unaware of how hard it is to leave the house with these winter temperatures at 8pm!!
• Tues – Run, hire a sitter to watch girls so I can run with my group at 530pm, crazy that I am now going to pay someone so I can run (so much for a cheap sport)!
• Wed – Bike (60 min spin class) & Swim, this is my big training night, Daddy has to get home early from work to make this a reality
• Thurs – REST, the most important part of any training plan, plus this is my favourite TV night!!
• Fri – Swim, have to pull in the favours for girls, MIL is going to have lunch with girls so I can join teammates at lunch at the pool (must find alternative plan when MIL heads south for March)
• Sat – Run, 8am for my long runs (am actual already doing this one!)
• Sun – Bike, wake up before family and have a bike in basement to get in my long indoor ride
My reality? – Over the past 4 weeks, I have actually followed the plan, ONCE and when I did .. I was so tired, I mean falling asleep instantly on Monday afternoon during an exciting episode of Handy Manny!! Let’s just say the following week I declared a “recovery” week and tripled my rest days! So the plan is aggressive, but it is just that, a plan – the good news is I know I can fit into my life with girls, hubby and work! I can do it!! Yes I can!! Oh but just remembered this is just “base” training …